Tuesday, January 11, 2011

*sigh* It's almost Valentine's Day

Is it just me, or is Valentine's Day way to close to Christmas? It's not like in high school when all you had to do was get a candygram watch other people get candygrams. Now since we're sort of adults, we have to get real gifts. To make things worse, my girlfriend's birthday is at the end of November, so that's 3 major planning/gift giving dates right in a row.

Let me share the story of what happened to me last year. Not only did I do a good job with her birthday. I killed it. I knew she wanted to get into biking, so I got her this really cool retro cruiser bike and fixed it up. Exaggerated pictures below.

Yeah, I was a beast fixing it up. Then, along with a few of her friends we organized a surprise birthday party which went better than expected. I also got her a soccer jersey for our favorite team, Arsenal, so she wouldn't feel left out when we went to watch the matches. And oh yeah I designed a card for her and had her friends sign. So in short, yeah, I killed it.

That was all great except for one thing. Her birthday was at the end of November. I left myself with hardly any options left for Christmas less than a month later. I ended up getting her a book. Yep that's right a book. She told that was what she wanted, but c'mon.... it was a book.

By the time Valentine's day rolled around like 6 weeks later I was finished. I can't even remember what we did. I think we went out to dinner maybe. It was brutal trying to come up with something.

Looking back, I guess I peaked too soon. Maybe I'll start just getting crappy birthday gifts so that whatever I do for Valentine's Day looks better. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment