Thursday, January 6, 2011

Wait, then what's a truffle?


Did you know that there are truffles and other truffles, and they're different??? Ok, you probably did because after asking around it seems like I'm the only one that didn't know the difference. A few months ago someone offered me a chocolate covered truffle. I had heard of truffles (thanks Talespin), so I thought they were supposed to be really good. I also knew that they were like mushrooms that grew underground, you needed a pig to find them and they were like 50 bucks each. That may be wrong, but that's what Talespin said, so I'm sticking with it. I was ready for a treat. Maybe my palette isn't sophisticated enough, but it tasted like a salty ball of dirt covered in chocolate. I smiled, said mmm good and was done with it.

Flash forward to this week. My friend Adele (of gosh gee golly fame) offered me some chocolate truffles. With the bad experience still fresh in my mind, I declined but everyone else had one. And they loved them. Now I was confused. When I tried one, it was a ball of chocolate and amazing. What was going on?

The fact that the truffle(fungus) I had was covered in chocolate added to the confusion. Eventually we got it figured out though. For minute it was kinda like the "who's on first" sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment