Thursday, December 9, 2010

Architecture in the Schools: Team JKL FTW!!


Last night we had the final presentation for our Architecture in the Schools program. The program looks for local architects and classrooms to join together to get kids excited about the profession.

Team JKL (pronounced "jackal". Jody, Kelly, Luther and newest member Jess) volunteered at Lasalle Backus Elemetary School over the fall semester. We went to class once a week to teach the kids about architecture with a focus on a final project. We decided to have the kiddos design their own community. They decided what would go in it, and then were in charge of building all of the buildings.

It turned out better than I could have ever imagined. Other groups may have had cleaner, more polished projects, but ours was done completely by the students. We built them the base with the streets drawn and they covered everything else.

Over the course of the semester I fell in love with the kids. I had so much fun with them. At the final presentation, two had prepared speeched. When they were done, there was silence and everyone looked at me to say something. So, I walked over to the microphone and started talking about the class. I felt like Dick Vermeil.

For those who don't know. Dick Vermeil is the former coach of the Eagles, Rams and Cheifs. He was known for being very close with his players and coaches. At times he invited some to live with him. He was also was famous for crying during press conferences, after press conferences, after playoff games, after preseason games, when he retired, when he un-retired... I think you get the point. He's emotional.

When I was up at the microphone, all I could get out was how proud I was of the kids and how they always amazed me with what they had done every class. Then my voice started to waver and I knew if I kept talking the tears would start flowing. I got down before anything happened. Phew :) Afterwards, an older guy who I think was a professor at Howard came up to me as I was hanging a poster about the kids' project. He said he could tell I really cared about them and he wanted to meet me. He shook my hand, said a few words about the program then he left.

Below are some pictures from the event. I will post more once I get them from our teacher. I can't say how proud of my kids that I am. There personalities really came out in the buildings that they designed.

No comments:

Post a Comment