Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Good the Bad and the Ugly: The Night Independent Luther Died

In my 3 years in DC, I've done many different activities and met many different people which has resulted in different groups of friends. They are roughly divided into 4 groups. Work Friends, Soccer Friends (Pickup & league), and Going out Friends. Not that I've tried, but these groups have mostly remained separate allowing for the creation of "Independent Luther" (not dissimilar from independent george). Independent Luther is a great guy with a great life. He's free to spend time with different people when he feels like it. He's also mysterious. Although people have an idea of what he's doing when he's not there, they're never quite sure. Man of mystery. I know, sounds great.

On the night of August 6th, the world I had created came crashing down.

That night, I was enjoying myself at a friend's going away party in adams morgan. At the same time, Julie (Good) was out with a coworker just a few blocks from where my party was. She brought Jes (Bad) along with her. Milton (Ugly), who plays pool with the husband of that same coworker, was there too. This is where the details become fuzzy although one thing is certain. At some point in the night Julie said she was meeting up with "Luther Lemon" later in the night (for some reason people feel the need to use my full name, *sigh*). Mitlon heard them and from there the scheme was hatched for them to surprise me.

20 minutes later, they're walking into the party arm in arm. Shock, awe, shock and awe can't explain what I felt.


The photo above is of a man who now lives in an uncertain world. What kind of existence is he in for? What's next?? Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria! (Sorry, that last part was from Ghostbusters II)

We shall see.

4 comments:

  1. You had to be there, Luther just kept saying "what's going on?" over and over again, and had the most confused look on his face. Good thing I got Jes aka "the Bad" back later that night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Luther, but you do know that this is "MY CITY" and I may pop up anytime, anywhere!!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure that last line was from the first Ghostbusters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My bad, the gentleman from New York is correct. Those two movies run together for me

    ReplyDelete