Monday, August 9, 2010

Samba Loco







The Adidas Samba















I bought another pair this weekend. For those keeping score at home, that brings my total to 3. And by 3, I mean I have 3 that I currently wear. It's and obsession. They are just so simple and timeless, I think I could buy another 3 pairs. My latest pair is shown above. This will be my first foray into the world of the none standard (black or white) samba. We'll see how it turns out.

After making the buy, I was a bit curious about the history of the shoe.
"The shoe was first produced in 1950 to enable association football players to train on icy hard ground (hence the suction on the gumsole). Its original design featured the classic three stripes, as well as the gold trefoil on the foldable tongue. As years progressed, the Samba evolved into the Samba Millennium (which was made without the extended tongue) and the Samba '85. Classic models of the shoe are still in production, under the name Classic M. While the original model is sometimes used for training, street play, and futsal, it is more popularly worn as a casual wear shoe."

In pop culture, Bill Cosby can often be seen sporting a black pair on the Cosby Show, Ashton Kutcher wore them in That 70's Show and Shia Labeouf wore a pair in Transformers 2. Transformers, 70's and Cosby. Not too bad for a days work.



Whenever one of my pairs starts to wear out, it always starts in the same spot; on the inside of my right foot a heart shape appears. always the same spot. Always the same shape. Many have speculated that its due to the way I walk or the way I kick the ball, but I think we all know the true reason. It's the only way my shoes can convey the mutual love that we have for each other.

Samba, I love you too.


No comments:

Post a Comment